Tuesday, April 24, 2007

BAM bummed!!

Alright. Not even sure if "bummed" ever exists!!

Anyway, the issue is: BAM has gotten herself in hotsoup with the omision of Hafiz Hashim's entry into the very important back-to-back tournaments, Singapore Open and Indonesian Open.

Excerpt from The Star Online

“How can they forget to submit my name? This is the third time that it is happening to me (his name was also missing from the list in the last year's China Open and this year's Malaysian Open). This is ridiculous"

“I just arrived from Denmark today (yesterday) and I was shocked to find out that my name was not entered for the two tournaments,” said Roslin, who had been playing for the Danish Vendsyssyl Badminton Club."

“I cannot help but feel that this is a sabotage. I cannot accept the explanation that they (the BAM) have missed out my name again. This time, I am not accepting their apology. I am very disappointed,” said Roslin.

“Yes, I wanted badly to win a place in the squad for the world meet. But it will be unfair if I am considered despite missing these last two tournaments that are being used to determine the third singles player for the country for the world meet."

“There are other club players, who are equally determined to win a place in the world meet. For now, I think my hope of playing in the world meet is as good as over.”



Besides the world No. 18 ranked Roslin, the others in the running for the world meet are KLRC Bhd’s Lee Tsuen Seng (16th), Sairul Amar Ayob (22nd) and Yeoh Kay Bin (25th). The top two singles players assured of their places for the world meet are Lee Chong Wei and Roslin’s younger brother Hafiz. Roslin is now looking forward to competing in satellite tournaments to safeguard his world ranking.

“My next goal is to try and qualify for the Olympic Games (in Beijing). By missing the Opens in Singapore and Indonesia, my world ranking will certainly drop,” he lamented.

and how did BAM react?

Taken from The Star:

“There were so many entries and there was a slip-up from the BAM. We realise this ratherlate and we could not make any changes.
The BAM will be more vigilant in dealing with the entries of the players in future,” said Kenny.

He explained further:
“For a start, we have appealed to all the clubs to send one letter of entry for each particular player and tournament in the future,” said Kenny.

“In Roslin’s case, the club had sent one letter on his entries for three tournaments - the Asian Badminton Championships, Singapore and Indonesian Opens. My staff saw only the entry for the ABC."

“It was a human error. We have not made it a rule but we hope to get the co-operation from all the clubs in submitting only one letter per entry. "

“We will also form a committee to go through the entries of all the players before it is submitted to the BWF (Badminton World Federation). This committee, however, will not have decision-making power but they will ensure that qualified and deserving players are not left out of any tournaments.”

On whether any form of compensation would be given to Roslin following the error, Kenny said:

“There is no issue of compensation here. We can only give an assurance that this will not happen in future.”

Roslin's verdict:
“I am going ahead to sue them (the BAM). They can have a meeting with my club (Nusa Mahsuri) but as far as I am concerned, I am not happy with them for making mistakes after mistakes,” said Roslin.



Oh dear. SOOO many entries? How many players actually registered? 500? 1000? BAM's staff must be sleeping. Now that Roslin's taking legal action, they only initiated the corrective action. Funny isn't it? - that when it actually happened before last year in China Open and Malaysia Open, BAM should have opened up their eyes to be MORE CAREFUL and double check the entries. I'm actually supporting Roslin for his move, not that he's my favourite player but I always like to see someone stepping up to do something. What's wrong with sending ONE letter for three tournaments? It saves up EVERYONE'S paper work for sure. The admin clerk must be really blind, or the admin clerk clearly hates Roslin or maybe the BAM is really sabotaging Roslin.

I am no expert in legal matters AT ALL. As far as I'm concerned, as a full-time professional badminton player, his MAIN income comes from sponsorship and the prize money in tournaments. He must have missed a lot of cash inflow so far by missing out in the coming 2 tourneys and the 2 tourneys last year. Well, Roslin. Be smart. Ask for compensation too.

Coming into a more sports-loving view, I really pity Roslin for NOT having the chance to fight for his position to play in the World Championship this year. I know, I know..can still try next year what, but tell me, who likes to be missed out, especially when the world championship is held at your homeground? You can emerge as a hero, who knows, you may even revive your career since you are a very very vigilant fighter on court.

As much as I am a fan of Lee Tsuen Seng (i still remember his glory days), however putting aside of favouritism here, I must say Roslin SHOULD have been given a chance to prove himself too. He's really missing out A LOT for not competing in both tournaments.

I do not know now how the third slot for the world championship will be chosen since those two tourneys will be used as the major factor. If the others performed badly, will Yap Kim Hock be sympathetic to choose Roslin instead? And if let's say Tsuen Seng performed miracle, then Roslin would be left out unfairly.

I'm not sure at all of the effect of the legal actions will be should Roslin succeed. How will it affect BAM and the players under its wings?

You know, sometimes I'm not even sure if Roslin shall win this case. It might take ages to see the outcome, AND.....

Since BAM is a government body, do you think Roslin shall prevail?

Smart move, BAM for sending Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong to an election campaign (Machap).

What do you think?

No comments: